THE DOWN LOW ON WOOD FLOORING IMPOSTERS
We live in a time where we want things in our homes to be low maintenance, simple and practical. Able to take the daily abuse of pets, kids running with cleats on and red wine spills from your mother-in-law. While everything in your home can't be completely bullet proof, picking a durable flooring material is usually high on everyones priority list.
Most people love the warmth of wood floors, but not the maintenance factor attached to it. However, that all changed, about ten years ago, when these amazing little wood imposters started making their popular way on the market. People were in awe of the idea of having the wood look on their floor, without the worry of actual wood care! There are really two types of flooring options for faux wood: porcelain tile or Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT). I'm often asked my opinion of one vs another, my answer is always the same across the board, so I decided to break it down for you.
QUITE SIMPLY, I ALWAYS VOTE LVT. HERE IS WHY:
- Real wood floors do not have grout lines - to me the biggest giveaway on the porcelain tile movement is the grout lines, that is one big thing that blows this faux woods cover. With LVT the product is installed butted right next to each other, taking away any need for grout! Which in the end result, makes this faux wood much more realistic than faux wood tile. Plus - who actually likes to clean grout??
- Warmer to the touch - LVT is some form of plastic, pvc or other product (often recycled), it is much warmer to the foot than a cold tile floor.
- Better sound quality - because this isn't a hard surface like tile, it doesn't have that echo bounce happening throughout the space.
- Easier to repair - if by some chance you do have to repair a plank (although highly unlikely), don't fret, and educated installer can heat up that plank, pop it out and put another in, no tearing up a whole floor here.
- Other key benefits - its waterproof, UV rated, slip resistant and incredibly easy to clean!
Here are a few spaces where we have used LVT in projects, this product is so versatile, we are finding use for it in residential and commercial spaces.
As you can see, I'm a big fan of LVT, the application is nearly limitless, the end result is always beautiful, durable and a huge bang for your buck.
I've installed it everywhere from residential projects to commercial settings and beach hotels. While the initial floor prep might be a bit tedious and a nominal expense upfront, the longevity, ease of maintenance and aesthetic you will have with your new luxury vinyl tile floor pays for itself in no time!
With love and design-y dreams,